The Coventry Police Department has instituted the following procedure to help you obtain public records:
- The phone number for the Records Department is 401-822-9191. The fax number is 401-823-0697. It's best to call ahead to have the information ready.
The Records Division is open 8am – 4pm Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). If you need to obtain a copy of an ACCIDENT report to be picked up after hours, please call the Records Department during office hours to have the report pre-printed and available for pickup. There is a printing charge of .15 cents per page. Accident reports are free of charge to Senior Citizens. If requesting any other type of report, please complete a Records Request form (available at the station) or download the Records Request form from our website and fax it to: (401) 823-0697. Records requests are completed in order received within ten (10) business days. There is a printing charge of 15 cents per page.
- The Department may ask you for identification, or for the reason for your request, as its regular course of business. However, you are not required to provide identification or the reason you seek the information, and your right to access public records will not depend upon providing identification or reasons.
- In order to ensure that you are provided with the public records you seek in an expeditious manner, we ask that you complete the optional Public Records Request Form located at the front desk.
- You may also obtain a handout on the RI Access to Public Records Act, which summarizes the procedures and your rights to access public records. A link is listed below for that Act as well.
- There are times when the public records you seek are not available at the time of your request. Please be advised that the Access to Public Records Act gives a public body ten (10) business days to respond. We appreciate your understanding and patience.
- If you feel that you have been denied access to public records, you have the right to appeal to Colonel John S. MacDonald. If you are still not satisfied, you may file a complaint with the Department of the Attorney General, 150 South Main Street, Providence, RI 02903 or file a suit in Superior Court.
- The Coventry Police Department is committed to providing you with public records in an expeditious and courteous manner. The phone number for the Public Information Officer is 401-822-6228.
Click here to be forwarded to RI Access to Public Records Act
Traffic Accident Report
Coventry Police Accident Reports will be accessible in after 4 business days from the time of the accident. You can now access your accident report online via the internet at www.buycrash.com Please note that there is a $10.00 service fee to utilize this site.
If you cannot come to the police department during the above business hours, call the Records Office at 401-822-9191 and ask that a copy of the report be left for you to pick up at a more convenient time.